Come rain, hail or shine it’s always a good time for chocolate chip cookie ice-cream sandwich. Even better when it’s all homemade.
We use baking soda in this recipe, the baking soda gives makes the cookie chewy and when frozen the perfect crunch. However, if you prefer a doughier cookie, just replace the baking soda with baking powder.
If you enjoyed making this recipe, share your pictures with us, tagging @AshfordCastle.
This recipe makes 14 sandwiches.
For the chocolate chip cookies
- 350g plain flour
- 5g baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 225g salted butter
- 175g caster sugar
- 175g soft brown sugar
- 2 whole eggs
- 350g dark chocolate (chunks, chips or buttons)
- Place the butter, caster sugar, brown sugar in a bowl.
- And the vanilla into the mixing bowl, and using the spade attachment, beat until creamy.
- Add the eggs and mix for a further 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add the sieved flour, baking soda and salt.
- Add the chocolate and mix for a further 1 - 2 minutes until all is combined (Do not over mix the mixture as it will result in heavy cookies!).
- Weigh each cookie into 25g balls.
- Place the cookies on a tray lined with parchment paper. Ensure they are at least 8cm apart on the tray.
- Bake at 180°c for 14 minutes in the oven.
- Once they are cooked remove them from the oven, leave to rest for 2 minutes. Then use a 7cm diameter cutter to cut the cookie into a perfect circle.
For the vanilla ice-cream
- 500g cream
- 500g milk
- 240g egg yolk
- 240g caster sugar
- 2 vanilla pods
- Heat the cream, milk and vanilla pods (split lengthways) in a saucepan.
- Combine the egg yolks and caster sugar.
- Pour the boiled milk/cream over the egg mixture and combine well.
- Pour back into a clean saucepan and cook out the mixture until it reaches 85°c.
- Place into an ice cream machine and churn.
- Place the ice cream into a 7cm diameter silicone mould or alternatively spread on a tray 2cm in height and cut with a 7cm cutter when frozen solid.
- Take two cookies and place the ice cream in between each cookie. Freeze for 2 hours.
- Once frozen dip half of the cookie in tempered milk chocolate.
- Store in the freezer until ready to enjoy. For the ultimate indulgence, enjoy with a glass of Irish cream liquor.
A sneaky shortcut
If you’d rather skip the baking and keep your kitchen clean, you can order premade chocolate chip cookie ice-cream sandwiches from Cullen’s on the Ashford Castle Estate as part of the Cullen’s at Home click and collect service.