Enjoy this authentic Irish bread and butter pudding recipe with bananas and peanut butter.
If you enjoyed this recipe, share your photos with us by tagging @AshfordCastle on Instagram.
To make four individual portions.
- 500ml cream
- 1 vanilla pod or 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 whole eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 tbsp golden sugar
- 500g of 2-day old brioche
- 75g butter plus a little more for greasing
- 75g peanut butter
- 3 bananas
- 75g currants
- 1 measure baileys
- Zest of ½ lemon
- 2 tbsp demerara sugar
- Pour the baileys over the currants to soak.
- Heat the milk to just off the boil with vanilla and lemon. Leave to infuse.
- Slice the brioche into 1cm slices. Butter the slices on one side with butter and the other side with peanut butter.
- Whisk together the eggs, yolks and golden sugar then slowly whisk in the infused milk. This is your custard.
- Grease 4 dishes (ramekins or bowls) with some butter.
- Slice your bananas.
- Press a slice of bread firmly into the bottom of the dish and arrange bananas on top of the bread; add a sprinkling of the baileys currants and add a ladle of custard.
- Repeat step 7 until the bowl is almost full.
- Sprinkle with demerara sugar.
- Cook at 160 degrees celsius, in a bain-marie (water bath) for 20 minutes.
Serve with vanilla ice cream or fresh lemon curd and enjoy!